Senior Director, Government Affairs, Access, and Policy
About: Dexcom, Inc. manufactures Real-Time continuous glucose monitoring (RT-CGM). This advanced glucose monitoring technology measures interstitial glucose levels and displays the current blood glucose level and direction and rate of change. This complete picture of glycemic activity helps guide disease management decisions (e.g., insulin dosage adjustments, changes in diet) to avoid glycemic excursions. For patients with hypoglycemia unawareness, the alarm function of RT-CGM devices may be their only warning of emerging hypoglycemia.
The clinical benefits of RT-CGM technology over SMBG alone have been demonstrated in randomized controlled trials (RCTs). These studies have shown that, compared to SMBG alone, RT-CGM plus SMBG:
- Significantly reduces hemoglobin HbA1c (A1c) mean reduction of 0.5% and glycemic excursions without increasing hypoglycemic episodes over 3-12 months in adults with poorly or well controlled T1DM who are receiving intensive insulin therapy via insulin pump or multiple daily injections of insulin (MDI).
- Improves diabetes-related quality of life (QoL) and treatment satisfaction in adults with T1DM.
- Decreases the incidence of severe hypoglycemia by 46% (58% reduction in those aged 8-24 years and 32% reduction in those aged >25 years) in patients with poorly controlled T1DM receiving intensive insulin treatment.
- The Dexcom RT-CGM is indicated for adults and children ages 2 years of age and older.
- The Dexcom RT-CGM is a covered benefit for nearly all commercial payors in the US. Medicare provides coverage for intensively managed insulin taking Type 1 and Type 2 patients, and a majority of state Medicaid programs cover for CGM.
- Webinar: "Continuous Glucose Monitoring First in Diabetes" on 4/28/22
- Webinar: A Deep Dive into Continuous Glucose Monitoring Use in Primary Care with Dexcom CLARITY Software (11/30/21)
- Time-in-Range: An Intuitive CGM Metric to Integrate in Your Clinical Practice (08/18/21)
- Beyond A1C: How Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data Can Improve Diabetes Outcomes (April 20, 2021)
- Webinar: Implement and Optimize Professional CGM using a Standardized Approach: The Identify, Configure, Collaborate Framework (12/09/20)