Member Frontline Tactics
While Americans are called to socially distance themselves, AMGA believes connectedness is the U.S. healthcare community’s key to prevailing over the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. To promote sharing of resources, tactics, and best practices by frontline health providers, AMGA has compiled a selection of operational, clinical management, and administrative guidelines, lessons learned, and tools used by AMGA member medical groups and health systems. Included is guidance specifically for leadership roles responding to COVID-19, including CEOs, CMOs, CFOs, COOs, and HR professionals.
- Clinical Research: Several AMGA members announce the launch of Truveta to facilitate large-scale analysis of patient data from 14 healthcare systems on COVID-19 and other conditions (February 11, 2021)
- UC Davis Health: Long-Haulers and COVID-19 offers resources for those with long-term COVID-19 symptoms, including the region’s first Post-COVID-19 Clinic.
- University of California San Diego: COVID-19questions.org Clinical Data Consult Portal (R2D2 Consortium 9/17/20 [announcement])
- Case Study: How a Physician Group Rapidly Deployed a Successful Telehealth Program in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic (May 12, 2020)
- Pros and Cons of Video Visit Platforms: CMO Council Summary (April 16, 2020)
- Staffing Telehealth Visits from Home: CMO Council Summary (April 15, 2020)
- Sample Policy: Remote Provider Telecommuting (Work from Home) for Telehealth Visits
- PPE Protocols at Respiratory Clinics and Reopened Ambulatory Sites: CMO Council Summary (April 13, 2020)
Telehealth Reporting and Staffing: CMO Council Discussion Summary (April 12, 2020)
- Return to Work Using Non-Test-Based Strategies: CMO Council Summary (April 10, 2020)
- Response at the Epicenter: Quality Council Presentation Summary (March 27, 2020)
- Clinical Guidelines for Ambulatory Assessment: CEO Council Discussion Summary (March 24, 2020)
- Clinic Consolidation and Patient Triage: CMO Council Discussion Summary (March 24, 2020)
- Clinical Staffing Approaches for COVID-19: CMO Council Discussion Summary (March 24, 2020)
- New Procedures for Managing Patients and Providers in Response to Coronavirus: CMO Council Discussion Summary (March 17, 2020)
- UCHealth Mass Vaccination Drive-Through Playbook details logistics for mass vaccination events (Feb. 12, 2021).
- Prevea Health: COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic Planning Resources (January 2021)
- Northwell Health, Henry Ford Health System Form Alliance, Share Staff to Fight COVID-19.
- Realigning Care in the Time of COVID-19: Presentations to AMGA’s Chronic Care Roundtable (November 2020)
- Using an Innovative Care Model to Support Patients in the Time of COVID-19. Henry Ford Health System Chief Clinical Officer Adnan Munkarah offers insights on new care coordination, hospitalization alternatives, as well as virtual and home care.
- The Pandemic Unmasked Our Resilience: Care Realignment in the Time of COVID-19. Southwestern Health Resources Chief Physician Executive and COO Sanjay Doddamani explores how COVID-19 laid bare the shortcomings of fee-for-service health care.
- Realigning Primary Care in the Time of COVID-19. Advocate Medical Group ABOM Medical Director Tony Hampton discusses changes COVID-19 has brought to the primary care setting and the need for greater social support systems.
- Telehealth: Temporary Solution or Permanent Disruptor. Crystal Run Healthcare Chief Quality Officer Scott Hines explores the short- and long-term effects of telehealth as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Health Workforce: Northwell Health’s Keeping Our Team Members Safe initiative prioritizes the physical, emotional, financial, and psychosocial safety and well-being of team members and their families ( New England Journal of _ Medicine Catalyst _, Dec. 2, 2020)
- Post-Pandemic Predictions: CareMount Medical President and CEO Scott Hayworth (August 2020) In this Group Practice Journal interview, CEO Dr. Scott Hayworth explains how CareMount is optimizing care delivery during COVID-19 and makes predictions for the future of health care.
- Five Strategies for Restarting Elective Surgeries after COVID-19 (Aug. 10, 2020)
Orthopedic surgeon Amit Jain and colleagues at Johns Hopkins outline strategies for hospitals to meet clinical, financial, and ethical goals when restarting elective surgeries.
- Health System CEO Outlines Seven Lessons Learned from the Pandemic (July 20, 2020)
Intermountain Healthcare CEO Marc Harrison outlines lessons from the pandemic to improve patient care, including harnessing technologies like telehealth more aggressively and putting more emphasis on prevention.
- How Geisinger Health System Is Transforming in Response to COVID-19 (June 11, 2020)
Geisinger executives outline post-crisis planning efforts, including improved surveillance systems to detect a possible second wave of COVID-19 infections.
- Telehealth: COO Council Presentation Summary (June 9, 2020)
Council members discuss the use of telehealth in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Staffing Entrances: COO/CAO CouncilDiscussion Summary (June 2, 2020)
Council members discuss how they address staffing entrances to medical facilities.
- On the Front Lines: Responding to the COVID-19 Crisis (June 2020)
Group Practice Journal article highlights how AMGA members responded quickly to the pandemic by delivering coordinated, high-quality, and efficient care.
- Resuming Elective and Non-emergent Procedures: CAO/COO Council Summary (April 30, 2020)
- Receiving Federal Funds and Telehealth Issues: CFO Council Summary (April 22, 2020)
- Preparing for the Surge and the Recovery: CAO/COO Council Presentation (April 17, 2020)
- AMGA: Physician Compensation Considerations amid the COVID-19 Pandemic (March 27, 2020)
- Operations: EvergreenHealth Protocols and best practices for addressing COVID-19 in the hospital setting (March 26, 2020)
- Operations: Staying Open as COVID-19 Nears Peak: CEO Council Presentation Summary (March 25, 2020)
- Operations: Shifting HR Policies During the COVID-19 Pandemic Presentation to CHRO Council (March 25, 2020)
- Playbook: Expanding ICU and Medical/Surgical/Telemetry Capacity, Kaiser Permanente Northern California (March 24, 2020)
- AMGA: COVID-19: Immediate Action Steps from the Front Lines (March 20, 2020)
Members give some tips for what they are doing and what you should be doing
- Operations: CAO/COO Planning for COVID-19 Presentation to CAO/COO Council (March 20, 2020)
- Playbook: Viral Control Mitigation Phase, Kaiser Permanente Northern California (March 18, 2020)
- Operations: Provider Compensation Approaches to COVID-19 CFO Council Discussion Summary (March 18, 2020)
Patient, Provider Communications and Resources
- Baptist Medical Group: Coronavirus Resource Center
- Brigham and Women’s Physician Organization: COVID-19 Clinical Protocols
- Cleveland Clinic: Preparing for Coronavirus; Digital Health Playbook
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Clinic: Information About COVID-19
- The Everett Clinic: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Geisinger Health: Coronavirus Resource Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health: COVID-19 Clinical Protocols
- Henry Ford Health System: Coronavirus Resource Center
- Houston Methodist: Coronavirus Research Updates
- Inova Health System: COVID-19 Vaccine Information for the Communit
- Intermountain Healthcare: COVID-19 Resources for Caregivers: Clinical Decision Making
- Johns Hopkins: Coronavirus Resource Center (COVID-19 Case Tracker: Interactive Map)
- Kaiser Permanente: Coronavirus and COVID-19: How to Protect Yourself and Get Care
- Massachusetts General Hospital: Inpatient Clinical Guidance
- Mayo Clinic: COVID-19 Resources
- Medical College of Wisconsin: COVID-19 Resources
- Michigan Medicine: COVID-19 Treatment Guidance
- Munson Healthcare: COVID-19 Updates for Providers
- Northwell Health: COVID-19 Infographics Gallery
- RWJBarnabas Health: Training providers on conversations with COVID-19 patients’ families (Harvard Business Review, June 24, 2020)
- Spectrum Health: COVID-19 Health Care Professionals Resources
- UC Health: Clinical Practice Documents
- UNC Health: Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources
- UW Medicine: COVID-19 Resource Site
- VCU Health: COVID-19 Resources
- Wake Forest Baptist Health: COVID-19 Resources
If you have any contributions to share or want to suggest a topic area, please contact AMGA.